Apartment Hunt and Busyness


Sunset view from the stairwell of the apartment


I arrived homeless and needed to find a furnished two bedroom, two bath apartment in a week, before my daughter arrived. It needed to be clean, safe, pleasant, affordable, and a killer view would be nice.  Really, not asking for much, am I?


Using various apartment searches, I put out feelers and emailed several agents.  I made arrangements to see a fully furnished and renovated apartment just south of Kona that has never been lived in since the renovations had been completed.  Apartment of my dreams.  Everything is brand new.  It is fully turnkey with everything, spoons, dishes, towels, washer and dryer in the apartment.  High speed wifi and pest control included.  Brand new mattresses.  AND a KILLER lanai with an amazing view of the ocean where we will be able to watch whales in the winter!  HOLY SHIT! That is truly living the dream.   I filled out the application as soon as I got home and Penny filled out her end of it when she gots up this morning. We've been approved and I'll be moving in on Friday!  I only have to buy bedding! I'm so excited!   If I can figure out how to make a short video (the long one wouldn't upload), I'll update this post and add it in so you can see it!  

And my car is here!  Mr. Alaska and his wife graciously offered to drive to the other side of the island as they were picking up a car too.  They picked me up this morning at the car rental location as I dropped off my car, and we buzzed over the mountain to the Hilo side.  It was pretty easy breezy to do.  She's in fine shape and I'm so glad to have my own wheels now! There is a bit of a worrying squeal to the brakes that I don't like.  But that will be dealt with another day.  The guy at Matson said that I wouldn't have any problem registering the car, I just had to get the safety inspection first, then go to DMV, then back to the safety inspection place (I don't know why).  I will also have to get a driver's license as well.  All of that I can't do until I have an address!

I stopped in at the Two Ladies Kitchen in Hilo before I headed out and picked up some of their fresh mochi.  Mochi is made using rice flour and it's turned into this sort of gummy, sweet,  soft ball of wonderful and then stuffed with other wonderful things like cherries, pears, and my favorite, strawberry and a sweet bean paste. It's one of those weird Japanese things I grew up with and just love but no one else does. She packed it with an extra strawberry!  So ono (delicious)!  

Upon arriving back on the west side of the island, I found the credit union and tried to open an account but I have yet to officially have an address.  So I will do that this weekend.  Then I can submit my direct deposit

Other things I still need to do:  get car insurance, get rental insurance, get a TB test, do an official change of address, clean my classroom (more about that in a later post), move out of this vacation condo and into the new apartment (hope to do that Friday afternoon).  Go to Costco and get necessities like laundry detergent and shampoo. Go to the grocery store at some point.  

And, someday soon, I'm going to get my self to the beach.  I haven't had the chance to do that, but I'm going to make time to do that soon!


Comments